top of page

Page Title

This is a Paragraph. Click on "Edit Text" or double click on the text box to start editing the content and make sure to add any relevant details or information that you want to share with your visitors.


1.    Choose your university (can be multiple Universities )

So, you’ve decided on Germany as your study abroad destination – now it’s time to choose the right course and university for you. There are almost 2,000 programs available to search from, including 1,389 programs in English.

Unfortunately, opportunities to study in Germany in English at the undergraduate level are currently fairly limited, English courses are usually offered at the top or recognized public Universities. Therefore, applying for German courses and having a medium to high proficiency in German before starting university is recommended.

(link to top uni)


2.    Check the application deadline

Most or all German Universities requires you to have a recognized Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB), meaning ‘higher education entrance qualification. The DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) has a database of information on admission requirements for selected countries.

You’ll also need to check the language requirements. Most courses are taught in German, requiring international applicants to submit proof of proficiency in the German language. Two main tests are available for this purpose: the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH, meaning “German language examination for university entrance”) and the TestDaF.



3.    Have a Sperrkonto ready

You must show proof that you have, or have access to, around €8600 (~RM39k) to cover your living costs, although you may find you need more, depending on your lifestyle and spending habits (the average student spends €850/RM3900 a month). Living costs also vary depending on the location, with Munich being the most expensive city in the country.

Sperrkonto are offered by several german banks such as Sparkasse, Deutsche bank or Commerz but according to our research, Fintiba is currently the most interactive friendly website to open a Sperrkonto as they also offer other services such as insurance and accommodation.


4.    Apply through Uni Assist or your respective university.

For most subjects, you can apply directly to the international office of the university. Alternatively, you can use the website, a centralized admissions portal for international students,

be sure to keep the application deadline in check as its by 15 July for the winter semester, and applications for summer enrolments by 15 January. However, application deadlines vary between institutions, and the same institution may set different deadlines for each program.

It’s recommended to submit applications at least six weeks before the deadline, The specific documents required and the application process will be set by each institution, but you’ll typically be asked to submit:

  • A certified copy of your high-school diploma or previous degrees, and any other relevant qualifications in the original language

  • A translated overview of your course modules and grades

  • A passport photo

  • A copy of your passport (personal information and photo ID page)

  • Proof of language proficiency (a test certificate or online equivalent)

  • A copy of your Financial statement (Sperrkonto)

bottom of page